Illinois women won’t go back. We are moving forward.
Illinois women have made important gains in recent generations. We intend to keep them. But, we are not satisfied with the status quo. We strive to continually improve the status of women – all women, cisgender and transgender, lesbian, bisexual or straight, of all races and ethnicities, regardless of marital status, national origin, religion, age, disability, or income. All Illinois women are entitled to equality, economic security, and justice. Illinois must remove barriers and enact proactive policies in order to enable women to achieve their full potential. We understand that women’s equality, economic security, and justice cannot be achieved through one strategy nor in one year. We are beginning our efforts with a legislative agenda.
Illinois Women Moving Forward Legislative Agenda
Women’s Health Care: Illinois must protect and improve access to affordable women’s health care, including:
- safeguarding and ensuring access to legal and safe abortion; guaranteeing health care coverage for women’s preventive health services
- requiring free and accessible feminine hygiene products in public schools, shelters and correctional facilities.
Economic Security: Illinois must improve women’s ability to achieve success, including:
- securing paid sick time and paid Family Medical Leave for working families so that women can take care of themselves and their children
- raising the minimum wage to a sustainable standard that will help to support Illinois workers and families for years to come.
Justice: Illinois must remove barriers that create inequality and eliminate violence against women by:
- informing the public that charging women and men different prices for the same services is against the law under the Illinois Human Rights Act
- strengthening the Illinois Equal Pay Act to target systemic discrimination
- banning discrimination on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, or disability in health programs or activities, including insurance coverage
- supporting the full funding of state programs that protect a woman’s health, safety and economic security.